Day 5.5, Dec 7th: Why Being Single Doesn't Mean What Your Friends Seem To Think It Means


It's the gift giving season for whichever of the religions/non-religions you subscribe to, which means inevitable family gatherings and relatives trying to nose into your love life with the ever innocent question: "Are you still single?"

Problem is, like most normal people, I'm thinking oodles of things at any given time.



I'm so busy thinking oodles of things that I never really think of myself as single.

The only time I consider myself as singular is when people ask me, and I start to ask myself all kinds of questions about my being single: 


The other day, a good friend of mine who recently entered a relationship asked me:


And without really thinking about it, I shrugged and said back:


And it really is exactly like always.

Don't get me wrong, I've been in relationships before and they were totally awesome. I was in love and even the crappy parts were kinda nice. The problem is that I'm just not a 'single' part of a pair that's missing their other part, because my identity end-game doesn't see me riding off into the sunset with my ideal match. 

My end-game identity is really just me in a few years time doing whatever it is that makes me happy and helps out. 

It's exactly like always because I've always been like that. I didn't wake up one day bitter and determined to never give myself over to a romantic relationship.

Companionship is great, but I've always liked my own company.

Tasks for two are fun, but I've always enjoyed solo pursuits.

Sharing is awesome, but I prefer keeping things to myself.


Maybe, like our aunts and friends always say, we'll 'change our minds when we find the right person. And kudos for the couples that achieved that because, hey, it's not easy work. The point is that where I'm concerned, I'm not looking.

 When you get down to the bare-bones of it all, 
I'm not single; I'm just me. 





...

NOW GET OFF MY BACK, YOU NOSY HARPIES T^ T


Two posts in one day! Wahahah, ahh. 
+1 for Billy in sports-gear?
Feel free to comment and tell me your love/single/double/polyamorous troubles, I'd like to hear your stories 







0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

GSOC News

★ Moved to Blogger 6/12/13

Recent Pageviews

About Billy

Billy is a uni student/nobody hailing from Australia whose mother would have called her Billy Ruben if she'd been born a boy. She can't draw for peanuts or write in third person, but hey, she'll improve.

The End Game

Good Show Old Chap is an example of a bucket list resolution in progress. For more info you can read the first post, but to break it down for you: we often give up the little dreams we have to make way for greater and more practical life aims and it's time to take those little dreams back.

This here is mine; where's yours?

Good-luck bloggin' folk, and click +1 if you want to recommend us